Saturday, January 24, 2015

Class Discussion 1/23

To learn about Islam I think it is best that we attempt to be as objective as possible. Since we are in the West and Islam comes with certain stereotypes here we need to try to keep those separate from what we are learning in class. This will allow us to have a better understanding of the religion and those who practice it.

In class we discussed how significant  doubt is to believing or having faith in a religion and the significance of language and understanding religious texts.. I believe that you can't have faith in something without there being some level of doubt there. Also, I think that language plays a large role in what people understand about a religion. First the way people that religious texts in most cases are not left in the original language anymore and often times in translation things are changed from their true meaning altering what is actually being said. This also creates an element of doubt in a religion because with many different versions of what is supposed to be the same text creates various interpretations. I think that the doubt that comes with the numerous interpretations of religious text affects whether people believe in certain religions or not.

No comments:

Post a Comment